~What in the Hell?~

Sunday, March 21, 2010

~ It's Been A Week ~

Since my new overlords arrived.  

They have conveniently "forgotten" that they have been housebroken.  So I've had to remind them - which has been harder on me BY FAR than on them.  I just HATE putting them in their carriers and only taking them out to potty and walk.  But it has to be done.

I took them to the vet on Friday to get them a general baseline and to make sure neither of them had any UTI's or anything that would cause their incontinence.  Bella might have a UTI or a bladder infection.  The vet gave me some antibiotics for her and she seems to be doing better.  Tobs, the male, is just being (or trying to be) dominant and mark everything.  He needs to realize that I have the opposable thumb; therefore, I rule the house.

She is much younger than he is by about 5 years.  I figured she was younger since she is much more active but I didn't realize how much.  So she and I go for a brisk walk in the morning and evening while Tobs wanders in the yard.  Then we come back and pick him up and go for a more leisurely walk with him.  This seems to have helped her burn off her excess energy and should help me lose some weight (I hope).

He is not real happy about this arrangement but he usually doesn't realize we're gone until we get back.  Then he gets all mad and says, "woooo!" at me.  But he quickly gets over it when I tell him it's time to walk.  

This whole "re-potty training" has been a test of my patience (what little I have), to be sure.  I've taken to putting an overnight super maxi pad in his belly band since he seems to pee quarts (or at least he did).  Now that's he remembering he's housebroken, I don't need that large of a pad on him so far.  Hopefully he won't need to be reminded and I can put his belly band and super maxi's away.  But we'll see.

She seems to be "getting it" and will go outside if I leave the door open for her.  Overnight seems to be the issue now.  She didn't hit the potty pad last night so I again had to mop the kitchen and clean up after her this morning.  Ugh.

I'm not sure how they are going to be when I'm at work - I'll leave the pad out since the doggie door hasn't been installed yet.  I don't think she will take long to grasp the concept of the doggie door.  He shouldn't, either.

His problem is getting off of the porch.  The steps in and around this house are completely stupid.  Really steep and narrow so they are hard to navigate when you're a small dog.  I made them a little ramp off of the back porch and she will use it.  He doesn't like coming up it because the bottom half didn't have a grip on it.  Now it does so he should feel more secure on it.

I hope they continue to improve on their manners.  They don't chew or bark but the potty in the house is not cool.  I'd like to be able to keep them with me in the house without worrying and this "re-education" seems to be the only way I will be able to do that.  I just hate it but if it works then it's good.  

It just kills me to keep them confined to the kitchen while I read or watch TV or whatever.  It seems so cruel and it's not why I got them.  I wanted a lap dog like The Butter was.  To sit next to me and be petted.  Not to be locked in the kitchen.  But I can't do that until they remember how to potty outside.

So it's been stressful for ME.  The vet says it should only take 3 or so days to "re-educate" them and it seems to have worked thus far.  Tomorrow when I come home from work will be the real test.  If they used the pad or didn't go at all while I was at work then they will get to sit on the couch with me.  If not, then we will continue the banishment to the kitchen.  As much as it pains me.


The Rogue Goddess saw shadows dancing at 7:33 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

~The Mighty Nephy~

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com