~What in the Hell?~

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

~ A Strange Occurrance ~

Let me begin at the beginning before we get to the strange part.

While at war, Lily (not The Bean) from Virginia stopped over on one of her morning visits to us and told us about this music that she had recently purchased.

We told her to bring it on over so we can listen to it (along with her "bard box" to play it on) and she does.

The music is nice altho a bit sleep-inducing by the slow melodies but the lute sounds so wonderful. After the CD is over, I skip on off to class, the music forgotten. (I did, however, buy the CD when I got home because it's nice and I like the lute).

Fast forward to last Saturday. That Voice is saying, "go to Half Price Books. You HAVE to go to the bookstore today." Fine, whatever. I've learned that if I don't do what It says, it will nag relentlessly and I'll miss out on something I was supposed to know/do/get.

I roll my sorry butt down to Half-Price Books (grumbling the entire time because I wanted to just lay around and sew but nooooooo!)

I get down there and I'm wandering around the store picking up a few books here and there (some for mom, two for me) and looking at the DVDs and CD's. I ended up wandering over to the aisle with books on music (The Beatles, Bob Marley, Jim Morrison, the Blues, Jazz, etc). So I think maybe I should look for a book on how to read music (since I can't and I think maybe I should know how). I start looking around this section a bit more closely and what do I find?

Lo, there is a book of sheet music from the Elizabethan age. This is interesting! A songbook on period music - maybe someone can use it! (We all know *I* can't since I can't read music). So I pick it up and bring it home.

Later, I'm flipping thru this book of Elizabethan sheet music thinking "this might as well be in Chinese for all I can read it!" When I realize that - hey! This name (song writer credited) sounds familiar. John Dowland. Where have I heard that name before?

Turns out that 3 of the songs in this book are 3 of the very same songs Sting has recorded in the CD Lily played for us (and I later purchased). How odd is that?

And I relaize that I might actually be able to play a note or two on the violin since I now know what it should sound like (and the "dots" on the music say where my fingers go on the strings in my crude manner of understanding). So I tried it. With the CD. Fortunately for me, it's pretty slow because I'm a one-note at a time kinda gal. But it was really neat to be able to hear this, see the "dots" (sheet music) and make sounds on the violin in time with the lute.

I was very impressed by this entire sequence of events!

Oh, and the hummingbird has started coming around again peeping in my screen door accusingly. What? not enough rum in the feeder?

Labels:

The Rogue Goddess saw shadows dancing at 2:05 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

~The Mighty Nephy~

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com