~What in the Hell?~

Monday, July 31, 2006

~ I Did It ~

I finally gave in and bought a new computer. Yes, this time I got a Mac. I figured what the hell. Just not having the fucking thing CRASH all the time will be worth it. Not to mention having to pay an arm and a leg for virus protection every year.

Of course I'm still a bit unsure (as I always am with anything that costs over $100). I mean, this thing cost as much as my yurt, right? And I can't live in it! (Maybe in some odd way I can, tho). And I don't quite understand it (it took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to get a disc to eject from the drive) but I'm getting there.

I have to admit it is a lovely thing - so simple and elegant. No giant box in the floor with wires hanging out of it everywhere. Just a flat screen monitor and a keyboard with a mouse. Very strange and wonderful that all of "that stuff" fits in that space so neatly.

So it's sitting on a crate - it's compact enough that I don't NEED that gigantic desk anymore where my old computer is. I'll probably get rid of it after war (the desk, I mean. I'll keep the computer for a while). Yesterday I spent most of my afternoon transferring info from my old computer to my new one.

The big major suck is the music won't transfer outright. THAT is totally bogus. It (the mac) wants to put everything in iTunes eventho it was saved on CD as MP3. Ugh. But hey, if that's the only bogus thing, I'm golden.

Oooo - I just talked to Bean. She said to save as data and I'll be good. Yay! It'll save more room on each disk as well. That will be nice.

She was very glad to hear that I finally broke down and got one. Now I think I've officially entered geekdom. Altho I'm still retaining the rights to leave at any time (since I'm not really a geek - not like "them").

Preparations for war - still going strong. Everything is ready. Tonight I go home and do a dry run of loading the beams and the walls. Yesterday I drove the interstate with one of my totes strapped to the trunk of the car. That worked quite well altho I'll need to put some tape on the place where the hooks hit. It didn't scratch the car, but I don't want to take any chances.

I'll need to secure the lid a bit better against the wind. It stayed down but I'm concerned if I get caught in a big storm it might shift and cause me to lose it. That would suck majorly.

Tonight I'm going to try and strap the walls down to the roof of the car. I have a pretty fair idea of how it will work. I just need to drive on the highway to make sure it's stable under speed. The tote I was pretty sure of. The walls not so much. But hey, that's why dad is there, right? He's done it before.

I'll need to make a run for the border to pick up more booze, tho. Probably do that on Saturday. I'm thinking a few more bottles of Sailor Jerry rum should about do it. I have one bottle now and a big old bottle of tequila. That should keep us saturated for a few days anyway. And we can always hit the liquor store in town (even if it IS more expensive).

The front room is now full of my gear. I got all of the clothes packed this weekend altho I'm still finding things here and there that I can't live without. You know how it is. I'll probably be adding/subtracting stuff right up until the very minute the last thing goes into the car. That's usually how it is. But somehow I manage.

Mom's clutching her pearls about me putting stuff on top of the car. "The cops are gonna pick you up!" Please. As long as everything is secure, what gripe do they have?

That's it for now. I'm getting antsy wanting to just get there and pitch the yurt. Ooooo - so much fun! So little time!

The Rogue Goddess saw shadows dancing at 8:28 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

~The Mighty Nephy~

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com