~What in the Hell?~

Thursday, March 02, 2006

~ What a month! ~

Not only was I sick (and actually off work for two days because of it) but then I had a water pipe break in my shower. This meant that I had to shut off the water to my entire unit since there isn't a separate shut off for the shower (or the sinks or the kitchen for that matter).

GAWH! I had no sooner recovered from my cold (which I later found out was actually the flu - ugh) when my water went out. I was waterless for a week. Six damned days without water. It sucked mightily!

I had to drain water out of the hot water heater in order to flush the toilet, do the dishes or even bathe. Mercifully the gym has nice showers (and they open at 6 am) so I could shower there before work.

Man, hauling water - just enough water to get by - is a time consuming pain in the ass! I mean I do it all summer when I'm camping but I don't have to come home from WORK and do it! At least there's a party at the end of the day when I'm camping. This was like camping with no friends, no warm weather and no booze! Totally bogus!

Then Steve decided he wanted to be on the rag or something. I dunno. He just got all broody and moody and gloom and doom and started being a hag. He's got his own can of worms to sort out and he's trying to come to grips with it. I dunno. I've tried to help but I think it's more harm than help so I'm just going to STFU and worry about my skating competition.

Yeah - figures, don't it? The first time in like 4 years I decide to compete and as soon as I turn in the paperwork, I get sick, my plumbing goes to hell and Steve turns into Mr. Hyde. Ah, well. At least my program is done. Now if only I could find time to practice. THAT would be nice.

Eventually, the plumbing got fixed. I have more or less recovered from that vile flu and Steve - well, he's finally realized he needs to be alone for a bit so he can "think".

Fixing the pipe that broke was a comdey. Someone should have video taped me and dad in the bathroom working on the damned thing. People would have had a good laugh.

Of course, as soon as I realized what happened - saw the leak - I figured dad could fix it. Hey, I would have tried if I knew how to weld. But I don't. And I'm terrified of gas flame.

So I took the day off and dad came down early and we worked on that infernal thing from 10am until 9pm. And it wasn't fixed. We lost two pipe cutters down the wall - they fell all the way to China and couldn't be recovered. My arm got stuck in the hole we had cut to reach the busted pipe and dad nearly singed my eyebrows off with the torch at least twice. He also set the wall on fire. Granted, it was a small fire but it still scared me.

I finally gave up and called a plumber who says he can make it Friday. Steve decided he wants a crack at fixing it since dad couldn't fix it and the plumber won't arrive until later. It was "open season" on my plumbing.

Steve couldn't fix it and only increased his underlying agitation. Then the plumber called on Friday and said he got stuck at another job and couldn't make it. So we tried for Saturday morning.

I had given up all hope of ever having indoor plumbing again. But the dog still loves me. At least I had that.

Early Saturday came and the plumber arrived. He fixed it in 2 hours. I was elated! Indoor plumbing RULZ!! More than anything I wanted to shave. My God. I had turned into a porcupine of epic porportions.

What sweet bliss it was to take a hot shower and shave! Ahhhhhhh! Then I curled up in a nice clean bed and slept. All was right with the world then.

There's still a massive hole in the wall covered in plastic but I'll fix that tomorrow. I have the fiberglass patch for it. The place is a complete wreck from all the tools, chuncks of fiberglass that got drug throught the place, rags, bowls and general destruction but that's ok.

Tomorrow I'm taking the day off and getting "caught up" at home.

I've been working late every night this week so I haven't had enough energy to fix anything after work nor have I had the opportunity to skate (since the last session is at 5:30pm). This week has been all about work.

I have a huge list of things I need to get done tomorrow starting with returning dad's blowtorch. Just a lot of little things that have piled up since I got sick.

Hopefully, this is all the excitement I will have for a while. I need to recouperate my senses.

The Rogue Goddess saw shadows dancing at 8:30 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

~The Mighty Nephy~

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com