~What in the Hell?~

Sunday, March 19, 2006

~ Skating Test ~

Ah, yes. One more early morning at the rink to freeze my ass off. I swear they turn off every shred of heat to that damned building when we have a competition.

Last night I selpt like a rock I was so tired from skating all day and just the nerve "crash". Today I had to get up at 7am to get to the rink to work. I worked from 9 until noon then I came home and took a nap. Back to the rink for my test. I figured I'd have about a half hour to wake up between the time I arrived and the time I had to skate but that was not meant to be.

They were running 1/2 hour AHEAD which meant as soon as I got there I had to get my skates on and warmup. It was still asleep. Fortunately, this test is like two levels below where I'm actually skating but still - I would have liked to had some time to wake up. lol!

I go do my thing (I passed, BTW) and I'm sitting in the lobby waiting for my results with another one of the adult skaters. She says, "oh, I hope I passed. Those judges seemed to be rather particular."

I look at her and say, "you think? The referee is my old skating pro and the other judge is my skating nemesis. How do you think *I* feel?" LOL!

She thought I was joking. I'm like "No. Didn't you hear the exchange after you got off the ice and I was going on to skate? The judge says, 'are you ready?' and I said, 'are YOU?' Then all three of them cracked up."

It was rather amusing. I got to "goof off" for a test which is kinda cool. Doesn't happen often.

Some things that I have realized as a result of this weekend - why I THOUGHT I skate and why I ACTUALLY skate are two different things. It's taken me a while to grasp that but I will need to keep it in mind.

If I pretend to be someone ELSE when I skate I don't get nearly as nervous. Oddly enough.

Several people came up to me today as I was working and said, "that program was really you." And Jessica gave me one of the best funny compliments "my DAD even said he thought your costume, music and skating fit together." (Dang. Someone's DAD noticed? THAT must be pretty freakin' obvious. Most dad's are completely in the dark about that.) We just laughed. Other people were like "that whole thing was so you." Well, that's what I was aiming for.

Other observances - I miss skating with the club. Just for the gossip and BS and "trash talking" (all in good fun). It was nice to see everyone and catch up on things.

Shame on me for "assuming" that all male skaters (out of puberty) are gay. Just when you think it's "safe" to run around half naked some straight guy shows up! Talk about creeping me the hell out!

I mean, dads are fine - they are usually there (at the rink) with their daughters or wives. And little boys are ok. But a grown man (over 21) who is straight and figure skating? WEIRD, man. Just plain WEIRD. o_O (Hockey is different, obviously. And ice dancers are usually over 60 so they're ok, too)

The worst part is you're guard is down. Like waaaaay down. He's an adult. He's male. He's a figure skater. He must be gay. (I can literally count on ONE hand how many het male figure skaters I've known in 15+ years, ok?)

So naturally you just do stupid shit like adjust your boobs in your costume without too much thought or just bend over with your ass in the air to adjust your laces. Stuff that "other skaters" will just ignore (because they do it, too).

And then you get this funny feeling that someone is "watching" you. Yeah. And you look around and you see a grown man in skates (not hockey skates, oh, no. Figure skates). He's looking at you - a big smirk on his face because you've got your hand stuck down your costume *adjusting* your boob. Suddenly you realize (with mouting horror) "fuck! He's not gay!"

But wait! It's gets WEIRDER! Yes! Many, many snows ago when I worked at the newspaper I did an article on this guy. YES! Can you believe it? He was running for office and I (being the entire "staff") had to cover the debates.

He freakin' creeped me out THEN (trying to hit on me). Now, like 13 years later he re-emerges! God! I'm rather disturbed by this development. At first I was like "oh, no WAY! It can't be him. I must be on drugs."

Then (after the boob incident when I was waiting in the lobby for my pro) he comes up to me and starts talking - starts asking *questions*. Questions that no male skater would ask if he were gay.

I studied him carefully. Yes, it was him. There could be no doubt. I pulled the competitors list and checked his name and address. How fucking WEIRD is that? And here he was again, hitting on me. I kinda wondered if he knew who I was.

Honestly, having a figure skater hit on me at the rink was enough to creep me out. Having THIS particular figure skater hit on me at the rink was, well, eerie. At the first opportunity, I hid in the women's locker room.

I managed to avoid him for the rest of the competition and test session. But still. What the fuck? Who does he think he is to invade MY RINK and oogle us? Who said this competition was open to "straight men over 21"? Who? Nobody. It should be a rule - no man over 21 can figure skate and be heterosexual. It's just too fucking creepy. And annoying.

Normally it's just "us girls". Kinda like a family - you've seen them all mostly undressed in the locker rooms and you talk trash. No big deal. Having a straight man over 21 there is, well, it puts a damper on things. Kinda like inviting a "boy" to a slumber party.

Alas, now I know WHO he is and WHERE he is from so I can keep my eye out for him. Sad when you have to avoid someone, you know? And I can't be a bitch to him. He hasn't really DONE anything to me. Hasn't said anything vulgar or touched me or anything. But still - a straight guy figure skating - ew. That's just not right.

The Rogue Goddess saw shadows dancing at 5:09 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

~The Mighty Nephy~

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com