~What in the Hell?~

Monday, September 12, 2005

~ Sailor Jerry is Dead . . . ~

The wrath of the Unholy Grail finally caught up to him! He put up a valiant fight on Friday night and clung to the last thread of life until Saturday eve when he was finally put out of his misery. Being the sadistic fiends we are, we celebrated mightily by dancing on his corpse and drumming long into the night.

Rising from D's cooler on Saturday to avenge Jerrys death came Captain Morgan but we were prepared and his death was even more swift. So swift in fact, that many were unaware of his pathetic attempt at revenge.

Ah, well. We tried to warn that nautical bastard that he caught us off guard once - we would not be caught unawares again. But he was foolish and refused to listen so he is also dead. His stinking corpse was hurled into the fire pit and again we danced and drummed with much delight at his demise. I have a feeling he still hasn't learned his lesson, tho. Each time he attacks our peace-loving barony he shall be fought off and cast into emptiness. Let that be a warning to him!

Of course, there were those who could not hold their liquor and hobo'd for 6 hours in a chair as the rest of us took photos of him (for being a dumb ass). It was PASSED OUT - not "sleeping". Remember, if you're head hits the pillow, it's SLEEPING. No pillow = passed out. There was no pillow involved in this particular case.

This moron shows up BEFORE DARK and he's already too lit to stand. He proceeds to bogart Thurston's chair then pass out. He was such a twit for the 20 minutes he WAS conscious that we couldn't resist snapping photos of him once he was passed out. Oh, don't worry - I will certainly post the one I have. Heh.

Apparently he decided to take his drunken revenge upon my innocent tent by attacking it at 4am when he finally regained consciousness after passing out in the woods. (Sometime around 2am he must have stumbled into the woods to relieve himself and passed out again. When he came to, he began stumbling around trying to find his tent and attacked MINE instead). Needless to say, it pissed me the hell off and I had to get up (in the freezing cold, mind you) to throw his drunken ass out of camp.

This was Erol's take on it (I woke up several people yelling at this idiot). "Yeah, I thought it was a dream until I heard your voice. I peeked out my door and saw you and the look on your face yelling at him and I was like, 'oh, I pity the fool!'"

Thurston's take "I didn't know who that was yelling. I've never heard that tone of voice from you before - I didn't recognize it as you. I've heard laughing sober and laughing drunk but I've never heard that voice. I don't think I want to hear it again."

The most amusing part of this was on Saturday when I went shopping and wandering around, I had several people stop me who WERE NOT EVEN in the campsite ask me about the incident. I'm like "huh? Who told YOU?" Not even 12 hours had elapsed between the attack on my tent and everyone knowing about it. Talk about swift communications!

Saturday night was the hafla at the camp next to ours. We got fed and the drums came out. I didn't get to drum as much as I wanted. I was kidnapped and forced to comsume large amounts of beer in a cabin. The horror! But I DID get to sing on the walk home. Eventually, I did pull the drum out. There were only a few stragglers sitting around one of the campfires so I wandered over and drummed for a bit. It put several of them to sleep.

It's funny - the first night of Pennsic most people can't sleep because of the drums going at all hours but then you get used to them and can't sleep without them. When you go home after Pennsic, it's so quiet with no drums that you can't sleep.

So me sitting around just drumming the 4 rhythms I know by heart was soothing to many and they fell asleep. One or two were even hobo-ing by the fire. I had to drum with my eyes closed because if I see my hands or anyone dancing/watching me I get all flustered and forget what I'm doing. Sad. But I'm getting better.

On Friday we had three drums at our impromptu gathering. One was a professional. The guy using my drum this was his first event and he just wanted to try it. I used Tasha's drum and she danced. I couldn't keep up with the pro so I did what my teach told me - played the embellishments over the rhythm. It wasn't too awful bad because the pro was impressed (or so he said). The new guy was like "oh, this is the best time ever!"

It's really amazing how happy a $40 dollar drum can make people. It IS fun. And anyone can play it. There are only three notes. Dum, tek, ka. Two hands, three notes. EASY!

Last year at Pennsic the barony had such a good time with the two drums in camp - we played and let other people play. Danny picked it right up the bastard! He plays bass guitar and listened for a while and was like "hey, that's just like playing bass" grabbed a drum and started playing. I wanted to smack him. It took me like 3 classes before I felt comfortable enough to play and rely on my memory. He just picked it up and started playing. It IS fun.

Especially at events. If you start drumming someone will answer with another drum. Sometimes another instrument will answer. Once you find each other and start playing together the dancers will come. It's some sort of primitive communication I think. The drums call to each other and call everyone to them. Then the party is ON!

Saturday at the hafla someone brought a violin. That was just so cool! He was playing some gypsy music. So very cool to hear those notes drifting out over the fire pit and up into the starlit sky as the bats swirled around overhead. Very gothic.

My fingers are a little stiff today from all the drumming. I discovered how to make the "pop" noise on the drum this weekend. Very cool. But it stings the fingers. Probably because I don't have the muscle/callouses built up on them yet. But that's ok. I don't need to be making the "pop" noise anytime soon. I'm content to just put down the beat and let others embellish and do whatever over it. As long as I keep my eyes closed I'll be fine.

Back on the ice now, too, with the new season. Landed several axels - two footed but they are fully rotated. I need to go on vacation more often because I drop all of my bad habits.

I think my conscious mind "forgets" how to skate but my body remembers. So when I can't/don't think about what I'm doing it's a lot easier and I don't fall into my bad habits. Hmmmmm. Too bad I can't SKATE with my eyes closed. I think I'd probably do a lot better.

Hateful asked me this morning - quite snidely - "are you finished playing around?"

I laughed guiltily. "It is time to get back to work" he informed me haughtily. I just giggled at him. He's just mad because HE can't play the drum or skate. So there!

The Rogue Goddess saw shadows dancing at 8:48 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

~The Mighty Nephy~

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com