~What in the Hell?~

Thursday, September 08, 2005

~ It's Thursday ~

And I'm hungry.

What I'm listening to - water running in the sink and the AC fan.
Mood - goofy & sore

Why am I hungry? I should be hungry NEXT week, not THIS week. Stupid hormones don't even know what they're supposed to be doing.

Yesterday was my first lesson after my month hiatus from skating. I really should take a month off more often. My mind forgets and my body remembers and I skate very very well - I don't have to THINK about anything - I can just DO it.

My Axel is so on - it's very nice now. There at the end of the session, I was really rotating splendidly and not doing the two-foot thing like was my habit. I probably should have tried some double sals but the Z came out and chased us away. Probably a good thing, tho. My azz is sore today. And my hip flexors are "tired".

But my pro says I'm the best spinner she has - I'm fast and tight and I finish my spins (push all the way down and then out). I love to spin. I didn't try a flying camel yesterday. I sort of "forgot". Ooops! Oh, well.

Today is packing the car again and tomorrow is more camping. Yay! But boo for it being sort of the "last one" of the season. :-(

My new wall hanging from Cairo came in. I have to pick it up today or tomorrow. My drum is all cleaned and ready to go with my zills in the pocket. I've started packing. The weather should be nice - cool but nice. And I'm sure the stories of my antics at Pennsic will have grown enormously - I will just laugh and neither confirm nor deny anything.

Unless it's like BLATENTLY ignorant and stupid or repulsive to me. Heeeee! But, like one of the girls said before "nobody gossips about YOU! We all KNOW your business. You don't make it a secret." I didn't know whether to be insulted or flattered. o-O

Last night I wanted to go to bed early and it didn't happen. I ended up staying up and reading Ovid in hopes of finding some inspiration for my own writings. It helped. I found it on line today in the original Latin. LOL! THAT is just WRONG. Amusing but WRONG. The English translation sounds so much better. I just find reading "Amores" in Latin to be funny and not sexy.

In case you get ambitious or need some amusement that's work safe. Not like anyone's going to be able to read it over your shoulder, now, are they? Heh!

There is a covert operation underway here to get some personal hygiene and cleaning supplies to the hurricane victims in Mississippi. Can't say much about it because the lady is collecting donations on company property and the company would have a shit fit if they found out. They're hung up on their bureaucracy. God forbid that she should "break the rules" and help someone in need! The horror!

As Dr. McCoy so eloquently put it in one of the Star Trek movies, "the bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe."

Yeah, and that mentality has done more harm than good. She's going to Mississippi this weekend to deliver everything she can carry in her vehicle so we are quietly slipping off to Kmart and Target for a "long lunch" to get supplies for her.

That makes me feel a little bit better. And they are going to be collecting supplies at the campsite as well. I've donated $$ to Habitat for Humanity and America's Second Harvest Foodbank but still - buying a mop and putting it on a truck is a more tangible thing. If that makes any sense. I KNOW that mop will end up in Mississippi because it's being TAKEN down there RIGHT NOW.

Habitat may not be able to start building in the hardest hit areas for another few months depending on how long the cleanup takes.

The foodbank is my fave charity. They get my $$ every year - disasters or no. Ready for my rant?

It just pisses me off to no end that we live in the richest nation on earth and yet people go hungry here every day. Working in food service in college made me realize how much food we throw away. And yet people go hungry! WTF is up with THAT? We, being the idealistic college students we were - wanted to give it away to the people living on the streets. Alas, there are "laws" against that.

And then, as events usually happen, I stumbled upon a newspaper article about the local foodbank. Lo, I was amazed and relieved to find out that SOME of the food that would normally go to waste from stores and food products corps were being "rescued" and redistributed to those in need.

Thank the gods that not everyone is chained to the "bureaucratic mentality". I've been writing them checks since college and continue to do so. MY gf told me that when her daughter ran out of food stamps for her kids and needed food, various agencies in the city turned her away because she didn't have the "right paperwork". Can you believe that shit? Yeah, well it's the "BM" operating at all levels.

The only place that would help her was the food bank. All of the other agencies were "big name" charities or gov't orgs and none of them would help. Needless to say, my gf was sore pissed and immediately stopped giving to all other charities to give all her donations to the food bank.

No one in this country should go hungry - ever. Especially seniors and kids. There is just no excuse for it. None. Seeing how much food is thrown away and wasted makes me ill and if my $$ will help end it then I'll give it.
\rant

Man, I am worn out. I just might have to go to bed at a decent hour tonight. I dunno how I'm going to make it if I don't get some sleep. It's like I lay down then it's time to get up again. WTF is up with that? Bunch of bullshit! It's like the night only lasts for 10 minutes. That's what it FEELS like, anyway.

The Rogue Goddess saw shadows dancing at 10:06 AM

1 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once the food is prepared, it has a limited use time, and we don't have a solid system for redistribution. Then there comes the beauracracy that would involve taxes, or tax benefits for donation, and that food was still fit for redistribution and comapanies weren't just dumping food good or not for the tax benefits. It is sad the ammount that goes to waste in this country, especially with people starving. But so far no one has come up with a decent system that isn't grossly abuseable and is anything near feasible to use.

I'm sure the people who want the food would be glad to take left overs from whatever, itd atleast be food.

When I worked at a fast food place, someone actually attempted to sue us because they broke into our dumpster area, taking food from the dumpster, and fell getting out of the dumpster. "It's food and I need it, it should be free, especially if they're throwing it away!" I think the claim was thrown out, but I know the boss did take the guy to the store, got him a fresh set of clothes, bought him some food, took him home for a shower, and even offered him a job and arrange somewhere to live to try to get straight. The job was refused, but the guy didn't bother our stuff anymore, he moved down the street to wendy's.

Sorry, kinda turned into rant/story time there.
-S

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

~The Mighty Nephy~

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com