~What in the Hell?~

Friday, August 26, 2005

~ Pix from the War ~

Which, BTW, in case anyone wanted to know - we won. Yay for the Midrealm!

Some pix:

Romans - actually only one Roman.

The Field Battle The ground actually shakes when the armies initially charge at each other and when they hit - it sounds like lightening hitting a tree right next to you. Pretty intense stuff.

The Bridge Battle The haybales are the bridge perimeters.

Entertainment - Clan Tinker (I believe) doing a juggling act. These guys are great! Two jugglers are simultaneously juggling and trading three balls. It was very neat to watch!

Tents along the lake. It might be nice to camp there - until it rains and the mosquitos get totally out of control. Then the bats move in.

Some scurvy knave brought to justice the King's way. Arrrrggghh! (Probably drank all the rum, the bastard!)

An atlatl battle (don't ask me what the hell the difference is between an atlatl and a javelin. I haven't the faintest. I just like the word "atlatl" and they looked like they were having fun.)

My drum class on one particular day at Touch the Earth. Lots of fun.

Two knights fighting single combat.

A henna'd drum. You can actually decorate natural head drums with henna and it will not rub off. I watched the lady start work on this drum last Pennsic. I never saw it finished until it turned up this year. It probably took her a couple of hours to do. I think it's just awesome!

His Majesty Alaric coming back from a battle. Draco Invictus, baby!

A potter. Unfortunately, I had my hands full of grub when she was putting her finishing touches on this. It was very neat. Her set up was all manual - she was pumping a pedal on the ground to make the wheel spin as she molded the clay.

One of the several bow shops. Just to give you an idea of the choices of weapons available. For all you crazy elves out there. Heh.

Another shop. This one sells amber and other jewelry.

More shops. Better than any mall anywhere in the universe!

Even more shops on another street! Ah!

A spicer. This lady set up only for a few hours each day at her little stand. She had all kinds of spices. Notice the balance next to her. Yeah, that's what she used to weigh out her wares.

After the Woods Battle. One of our fighters has removed his armor and put it in the sun to dry. You can see the plate maile, helm and other pieces of armor.

Tightening a drum before class. The "natural" drums periodically need to be tightened to keep their sound. Or so I'm told.

A blacksmith at work. He's taken a brick of ugly steel out of the kiln and will work it until it turns into something like this. The chunk of metal on the left is the same as the smith is working on. The sword is what it will eventually end up as. The pattern on each sword is unique based on the metals used and how the metal is turned while forming. I was seriously in love with this sword - it is beautiful, IMO. The smith in the photo is the one who made this particular sword. Incredible workmanship - even the hilts are different and matched to the "character" of the finished sword.

The inside of my yurt. I was living like a Pasha and it was so very nice. Until I got home. *sigh*

Yes, coming home - going back to work. Seems the boss believes that if stupid lazy people aren't going to do their jobs that WE should do them for these idiots. Uh, no. Not unless I'm going to get THEIR pay as well. Geez. WTF?

Then I had to listen to the litany of "crimes" I have committed against Mr. Wicked. The least of which is indulging myself with other males. Quelle Horror! *eye roll*

I've hung up a lot of my flags and banners around here. It's so very soothing. With my big persian rug in the floor and my tapestries it looks rather exotic if I do say so myself. That wasn't quite what I was going for - just comfy. But hey, it works.

Saw an ad for my hieroglyphs class at the U of Chicago starting up again. Thinking about taking it but then I got another class catalog in the mail and might have to take a class here on Chinese culture instead (I can get work to spring for it and it would be interesting). Too many cool classes and no time to take them. So bogus.

Haven't managed to break out the zills since I've been home but I have played my drum. Ah, well. Maybe this weekend I'll make some racket.

The Rogue Goddess saw shadows dancing at 8:45 PM

3 Comments:

At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing. I love the the drum with the henna on it, that is just beautiful. And your yurt *falls in love and seriously wants one for herself now* That thing is SO... Genghis Khan, LOL! But it suits you - I think. Don't ask me why, just think you do. Mr Wicked will be so miffed knowing he was NOT invited in there, hehe! Have a great weekend, dear! Sarah

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome pics, Nephy! Been looking forward to seeing these since the first ones were posted. Where are the pics of you dressed up in all your gear though? Post, post, post!! L8R, MG

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nephy! I came by to see the yurt pictures and WOW! It looks like that was a helluva weekend. That sword is absolutely beautiful and I love the henna on the drum.

Now, next time you have to let someone ELSE take pictures so we can see you all dressed up!

<3,
Stephanie (aka italianqt)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

~The Mighty Nephy~

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com