~What in the Hell?~

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

~ Update from the Weekend ~

Since I got side tracked before I could finish my saga of the weekend I'll continue now.

Yes, it was a good weekend. The Unholy Grail made its nefarious appearance on Friday night - filled to the brim with Captain Morgan until he was dead and called to his buddy Sailor Jerry to attack. But we fought him off as well. Finally, ye olde potato fire water(vodka) tried to do us in but we killed that off as well. Yes, the Grail was bottomless that night!

But fear not young livers! The High Priestess of Debauchery has placed the Unholy Grail in its vault and sealed it away inside its crypt until such a time as she shall call it forth again for another night of rip-roaring rum swilling! All is safe with the world today as the UG lies sleeping. Replenishing its rum stash for another night.

Indeed, what started out as a quiet evening of mere wine tasting and a quiet chat with friends suddenly turned into a full-blown, bottle throwing, singing, dancing, drumming, story telling get down. Then Mike decides he's hungry about 11pm and fires up the grill so we even had FOOD to boot! Dayum! What a good time!

The next morning, however. UGH. Altho someone must have had a REALLY good time because they left us a dollar tip! Mike and I laughed our asses off about that. I guess we should start a "rum fund" or something, huh? LOL!

Geez, I was feeling rough. D and Nonna showed up in the afternoon and they were all ready to party but, alas, everyone else was still pretty rough from Friday's bout with the Grail. So they had to drink alone while the rest of us just sat around and watched. Of course, there was plenty of singing and drumming and story telling. There was just no Unholy Grail to bear witness to these things.

But it was nice to sit around and talk to them and even old Thurston made it out. He's still not camping over the whole weekend due to his condition but it was still nice to see him out and about.

Sunday I took a nap when I got home. Did I ever need it! Man! My feet were so dirty (I hate wearing shoes when I'm outside and the weather is nice.) Then I mounted my new blades and plugged the old holes in the soles. It took me about 2 hours. I was pretty busy after I woke up surprisingly.

Today was the first day I got to skate on my new blades that *I* mounted myself on my beloved Harlicks. Dayum! I was scared that I didn't do it right. I've never done it before but one of the pro's at the rink told me how and showed me so I tried it. Pretty expensive mistake if I mess up but I figured "why not? It was only $100 to get them resoled." So I tried it.

Today at lunch I skated. It took me a little while to get used to them. My camel was a little off because that bottom pick doesn't drag like it used to on my comets. But my Flip and Lutz - OI! I'm gonna double up on that flip. It is enormous! I couldn't believe it when I did it - it was like "wow!" Same on the lutz. I was in the air longer than I'm used to so I started squirming (bad habit). Even my loop was higher. My axel felt better but I don't think the blades are too much of a factor there - just me remembering to not hurl myself into it.

The only think I was really afraid to try was the layback because of my head position and that bottom pick doesn't grab like my old skates did. But I tried it and apparently my body knows where to go because I didn't tip over and I could see behind me (like you're supposed to). But my balance is a little off when I try to finish my spins. Just have to get used to the rocker on these a little more.

And I love the fact that I can't do "slop" in them. That I have to keep a good technique and not just muscle my way thru everything like I usually do. Oh, well. Those big old legs had to be good for something! hehehehe!

The Rogue Goddess saw shadows dancing at 5:21 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

~The Mighty Nephy~

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com